Preparing for pet for storm season
Let’s prepare our pet for storm season
The Central Coast storm season starts in November and can continue right through until February.
Kanwal and surrounding suburbs have a lot of dogs that escape during the storm season.
Coast Animal Health also see and hear a lot about pets with storm phobias.
We all know that dogs are capable of doing serious damage to themselves during this stormy time of the year, fractured claws, scratches, broken teeth, bruises and a lot more.
We need to start educating our puppies at a young age, on how to have fun and relax during storms.
HOW TO HELP YOUR DOG COPE WITH STORM PHOBIAS:
- POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT -We need to make storms a positive thing. Give your puppy/dog lots of treats and praise for calm / normal behaviour. Ignore scared behaviour. The worst thing a pet owner can do is to reinforce the scared behaviour by babying them, by telling them it is alright.
- TREAT THUNDERSTORM WORRY WITH PLAY -Dogs often know when a storm is coming long before us. The minute you are aware a storm is coming, bring out a ball, tug toy or your dog’s favourite toy. Throw a play party whenever a storm is coming or even if it is already here. Your dog may learn that storms predict good times.
- SAFE PLACE -Provide a den or hiding place where your dog can feel safe. If your dog has already selected a location, perhaps this might be the one you choose.
- ADAPTIL DIFFUSER -Plugging in an Adaptil diffuser as close to the den or hiding place as possible. Start using the diffuser at least a few days before fireworks or when storms are expected or use every day during thunderstorm season.
Adaptil is an easy-to-use and convenient product line for reassuring dogs during new experiences and fearful situations often associated with causing stress in our canine companions. The Adaptil range offers help and support to dogs in many situations, both indoors and outdoors, as well as for the short- and long-term. For more information on Adaptil go here
- SECURE YOUR HOME – Make sure all windows, doors and cat flaps are closed securely during fireworks. This will reduce the chances of your pets escaping. Draw curtains and switch on the TV to mask the noise from the storms.
- THUNDERSHIRTS – are a specially designed snug fitting shirt that targets various pressure points. The pressure relieves anxiety and is a highly effective drug free option. Ensure your pet has their Thundershirt on before the storm hits. Thundershirts have a money back guarantee and an 80% success rate and can be purchased on www.obay.com.au
If you are concerned about your pet, then give our friendly staff at Coast Animal Health a call and book an appointment for our lovely vets to chat you with about alternative options available.